The Organ Grindr: A Carnival of Souls-inspired cocktail
Carnival of Souls is a classic horror movie that follows its tragic heroine, Mary Henry, as she tries to make sense of her life after surviving a car accident in which her close friends were not as fortunate. She runs away from her hometown, but she cannot run away from a ghoulish figure who follows her from Kansas all the way to Salt Lake City, where she takes up a position as a church organist. A loner, a probable atheist, and arguably a feminist, Mary Henry shuns the people in her life and is beckoned again and again by the ghoul toward an abandoned carnival on the shore of the Salt Lake. The carnival promises to unlock the mysteries of Mary's existence, whether or not she's ready to learn the truth. The movie lingers with you long after the credits end.
Final Girl contestant, Jackson, joined us in Episode 8 to discuss the film, and who better to discuss it? He's a scholar on the film, which will make an 'appearance' in his upcoming book on road trip horror. While we talked, we imbibed on a Carnival of Souls-inspired cocktail I call The Organ Grindr.
To find out whether Jackson survived a trivia battle with our very own slasher, check out the episode or -- if you're pressed for time -- visit here. To nab this delicious cocktail recipe, keep reading...
To make this black & white masterpiece that's the perfect match for watching this black & white masterpiece, here's what you'll need:
- 1 shot vodka
- 1 shot of Jabberwock -- or some other spiced coffee liqeuer
- 3 oz of cold brew coffee
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup of honey
- 1 cup full fat of coconut milk
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Combine the eggs whites, honey, coconut milk and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk until the mixture has a becomes a delicious froth.
- In a shaker of ice, combine cold brew and shots and SHAKE!
- Pour the liquid into a tumbler of ice.
- Dollop some froth on top of the cocktail.
- You'll have extra froth left over. Refrigerate and use on additional cocktails -- or even cereal -- for the next 2-3 days.